Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Monday, April 25, 2011—Transfers . . . again

This week is transfers.  I cannot believe that six weeks have already passed.  Each transfer seems to go faster and faster.  When they say that time flies, they must mean that they dropped it out of a plane.  When it first falls, it is not moving very fast.  However, as time goes on (pun intended) the velocity gets faster and faster.  I will hit nine months of my mission this week.  That I cannot believe.  I feel like I just hugged mom goodbye yesterday.  Now don't think that I am "trunky" in the least bit, for it is quite the opposite.  I have to work hard and use every second of my time while I have it. "Behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors" [Book of Mormon, Alma 34:32].

Well I'm sure that you are all sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear the results of this transfer.  Would you like to know where I am going?  Am I returning to the North?  Am I staying in the South? Who will be my new companion?  You will have to just wait to find out.  After all, patience is a virtue.

This week I experienced something new in the mission: a rainstorm.  We woke up on Friday morning to find that it was a dark, overcast, rainy day.  The rain continued until about six in the afternoon and then it let up.  That day I was on companion exchanges with an Elder Junker.  Since he did not have his jacket, we both went out to work in our usually garb of a white shirt and tie.  We did, however, manage to find some semifunctional umbrellas in the apartment.  However, by the end of the day, it did not make a difference.  We were soaked. 

As I thought about the day, I remembered a certain day 2,000 years ago.  It just so happened to be that on this last Friday, we commemorated the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  The "ugly day" that we had here on Friday helped me think of Christ and His sacrifice for us.  It seemed that even Mother Nature was commemorating that monumental day.

Marcelo and Victoria are doing really well.  On Sunday I called them to remind them about church and that a member would come by to bring them to the chapel.  I sat at the piano playing prelude when the Duarte Family (the family that was going to bring Marcelo and Victoria) came in.  Victoria and Marcelo were not with them.  Hermana Duarte gave me an apologetic look and shrugged her shoulders.  I felt so sad.  They had not come.  My heart groaned inside as I said a quick prayer in my head that somehow, they would come.  Sacrament meeting stared and ended.  They did not arrive. Then halfway through Sunday School, one of the members came and told me that a lady had arrived with her son.  I quickly jumped out of my seat and ran to the hall.  There they were--Marcelo and Victoria had come!

I love my mission so much and I learn so much every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment