Friday, August 6, 2010

Thursday, July 29, 2010--First Epistle

Wow! I love it here so much! It is such an incredible experience to be constantly surrounded by thousands of missionaries. Yesterday, after being ceremonially dumped at the curb, Elder Tanner showed me around. He first took me to the Snow Building where I received important information, cards, and keys, and where a proxy mother first put my name tag on my jacket. After that, we went to my room and dropped off my luggage. We then proceeded to the bookstore where I was given a bag with all my necessary books and language study aids. The volunteer who handed the bag to me is actually a friend of mine from BYU.

After receiving my bag, we went to my classroom. Here I was introduced to my companion, district, and teachers. My companion is Elder Matesen from Salt Lake. He and I get along well and I am looking forward to working with and serving him. Just like me, he just finished his first year of college, but he went to BYUI. Our teachers are incredible! I already feel their love and dedication. Hermanos Catt and Gentry are our teachers. Yesterday they gave us their expectations and strongly stressed the importance of internalizing my purpose, so that it is not just something I have memorized, but is a part of me and is something I know.

Later last night we had some teaching experiences that we were told to watch and participate in. We had three different "appointments" with three totally different types of people. These experiences were very eye-opening. No matter how hard we tried or how much we wanted them to believe us, they just wouldn't. It is my job as a missionary to understand people and be able to learn about them so that I can find what they are looking for and give them the answers they need.

Like [Redlands friend] Isaac [Arnott] said, being here is “like EFY on steroids." . . . I have seen so many people I know already. Yesterday I saw Sister [Andrea] McClaine and Sister Emma Wilson, along with about eight Elders from by BYU ward.


I know that I am doing the right thing. I know that this gospel is true and can bring true joy. I will do all that I can so that I will be ready to find those people waiting in Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment