Sunday, November 7, 2010

Monday, October 25, 2010--Terremoto!!

First of all, today is a special day. A day that does not occur very often. It's a day that we celebrate. Do you know what I´m talking about? It´s P-Day!

Okay, well that's not really what I was talking about. What I am talking about is the birth of my father, Kurt Stevens Rowley.

Let's just take a moment to recognize all that has been accomplished during his lifetime. He was born in a land called Pangaea. He was there to witness the discovery of fire and even help with inventing the wheel! Yes, that may seem like a long time ago to some of us, but to him it seems like just yesterday.

I think of that Primary song that says, "One year older and wiser too." Well, Dad is a very, very wise man.

But seriously, Dad, happy birthday! Know that people are celebrating your birthday on the other side of the world. . . .

Yesterday was a wonderful day. Every Sunday is wonderful, but yesterday was particularly special, because it was Jaun's baptism. I was privileged to be the one to perform the ordinance. It has been so beautiful to see the journey that he has started and how he was prepared, even before we taught him, to take this journey that leads to eternal life. His whole family (and the girlfriends of his brothers) attended and thought that the baptism was something very special.

Then last night, we had a noche de hogar at their house and watched Our Heavenly Father's Plan. After the movie, Dani (the older boy, he and his girlfriend will have their baby in November) said that he wants to have an eternal family and that he has the "ganas de bautizarse." It is wonderful to see how the Lord works and how Jaun´s decision will lead to the salvation of his family and many others. We will start teaching Dani and his girlfriend more often and prepare them to be baptized.

As the subject suggests, I experienced my first Chilean terremoto, or earthquake. Don't worry. Nothing major happened. On Friday night, we were sitting at our desk on the second floor, planning for the next day. In the distance I heard a rumbling and then the desk started to shake. I quickly jumped up and ran to the door and Elder Brady and I huddled there, waiting about ten seconds for the tremor to pass. Nothing happened, but it definitely got my adrenaline pumping.


I have learned so much already. The gospel is incredible and I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ. I love my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment