Sunday, March 20, 2011

Monday, December 27, 2011 -- Fechas

Konichiwa,

It makes me so happy to hear . . . that my family is playing a part in missionary work. As I wrote in one my previous letters, members are vitally important in the work. President Gillespie [my mission president] has said that the doctrine is not as important as friends (for investigators). With friends, they will come to church and stay firm and will learn the doctrine. I am so happy that she has a baptismal date. There is nothing like the feeling of putting [or setting] a "fecha" (date) and having the investigator accept. I will have to work hard to make sure that my family doesn't baptize more than I do this transfer!

Speaking of fechas, we put [or set] a fecha bautismal [baptismal date] yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, we were working in the feria [or fair] when a young lady (of about 28 years old) walked up to us and asked us why we hadn't passed by her house yet. Apparently, she had previously written her name on the list, but we had not gone by. We wrote her address down again and promised to pass by. When we went to go teach Andrea, she was very receptive. She was so happy that we had come to "help her grow closer to God." In that lesson, we taught her about baptism, hoping to extend the baptismal commitment. However, we found out that a year ago, she was baptized in an evangelical church, and then our time ran out. So in the lesson yesterday, we taught from 3 Nephi 11 and how Christ gives his authority to baptize. We emphasized the need for proper authority to make a baptism valid. The Spirit was strong and we extended the commitment. She accepted and wants to be baptized on the twenty-second of this month! Elder Jimenez and I are very excited for her and we have another appointment with her tonight!

Elder Jimenez and I get along really well. As you already know, he is from Colombia. He is going to help me a lot to improve my Spanish and to be the best missionary I can. As they say in Spanish, "we fall well together."

Thank you for all that you do for the Lord. I know that I am receiving blessing for your diligence and love towards the Lord. I love him with all my being!

I love my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment