Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday, July 11, 2011—Cecilia y Tamara

Another beautiful, great, wonderful week in the mission.


 

Last Monday we had a successful night after ending our P-Day.  We had a couple lessons including one to a couple of our investigators named Cecilia and Tamara.  About a month ago we were talking to people in the street and we talked to twenty-two year old girl named Cecilia and gave her a copy of The Book of Mormon.  In the following visits, we met Tamara, her seventeen-year-old sister and their mother, Cindy.  We found out that Cindy was baptized in the Church, but over the years, fell away from the Church because of her marriage and other life problems.  However, Cindy is very supportive of her daughters and is excited to come back to the Church.  Last week, Cecilia accepted a baptismal date and on Monday night Tamara did as well.  If all goes well (as I am praying it will) they will be baptized on the 7th of August.


 

However, Cecilia is a firefighter and she has firefighting exercises every Sunday morning.  Not only that, but she is now sick with pneumonia.  I pray that we will be able to teach her well enough that she will feel the need and desire to attend Church and make the necessary changes in her life.


 

This week we had to drop one of our investigators.  Last week we saw Carola going to church, but not to ours.  She was going to a church that had Mickey Mouse painted all over the walls—you see some pretty strange things down here.  When we saw that, it broke my heart.  After promising that she come to church with us, we see her going to the Mickey Mouse church.  We visited her a few days later.  (Actually, I was on exchanges in a different area and Elder Rowett was with another Elder.)  In that lesson, her husband came out and started yelling at her telling her very rudely to "get to work" and telling us to leave.  It was a very sad moment.  I pray that the Lord will soften his heart that we may share again with her soon.


 

This week among many spiritual experiences that strengthened my testimony happened during my personal studies.  I was reading in chapters nine to thirteen of Third Nephi.  I read about the darkness and destruction that followed Christ´s death.  Then after three days of darkness, the voice of the Lord is heard.  I imagined how it would have been to be trapped in that thick darkness, wondering who had survived.  I then read how Christ came down from heaven and the first thing He tells the people is "I am the light and the life of the world."  It struck me how true that statement is.  Three days without Christ—three days of utter darkness. I remember that I talked about this last fall, but as I read and pondered, I felt the light of Christ fill my soul and renew my testimony that Christ is my personal light and Savior and that it is only through Him that one day, I will arrive to the father.  I love my mission and the testimony and strength that I feel every day.


 

Life is beautiful.  I cherish every moment, I live for every second.  My only desire is to serve the Lord and by so doing, show my love for him, for all of you, and for all of my brothers and sisters.  I know that I have so much to do, so much to change; but I also know that I have come a long way.   I love you all so very much.  I love my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment